a. Spells are not readily available at any time. You have to find them, research them, or otherwise acquire them. Just flipping through the player’s handbook does not make them available.
b. The chance that a spell can be found in a local library or school is as follows:
i. There is a base 15% chance a spell can be found with the following modifiers:
1. Size 1 - Thorp, hamlet, or village - -10%
2. Size 2 - Small town or large town - -5%
3. Size 3 - Small city - +0%
4. Size 4 - Large city - +5%
5. Size 5 - Metropolis - +10%
6. Per each 5 hours searching - +1% (10 hours per community size rating max)
7. Per spell level - -3%
a. Abundant - +10
b. Very Common - +5%
c. Common - +0%
d. Uncommon - -5%
e. Scarce - -10%
f. Rare - -15%
g. Very Rare - -20%
9. DM’s discretion, based on other mitigating factors such as region, local laws, nature of the spell, etc. - % varies
Example: Torqander is looking for a fireball spell to add to his book. Fireball is a 3rd level spell (-9%), abundant (+10% DM discretion), and he’s in a large city (+5%). He plans to search until he runs out of options so he can spend a maximum of 40 hours searching which gives him another (+8%) for time spent, for a grand total of 15-9+10+5+8=29% of finding a fireball spell in this city’s libraries. Now, once it’s found, it might still be too costly to purchase or heavily guarded to steal.
Author: Dr. Jeff Goins is the Founder and CEO of Dwarven Tavernwww.dwarventavern.net. He writes lots of tombs, carves articles of stones, and publishes a wealth of knowledge. His latest books include Dwarven Tavern Short Hooks and Quick Start Story Ideas, Growing Up Haunted: The Tollgate, and Life In The Shadows.